What is a BEST course ?
BEST provides about 100 courses all over Europe every year, spread out over four seasons (winter, spring, summer and autumn). There are always many different topics and disciplines to choose from and you are free to attend any event, even if it’s not within your study program. To apply you simply have to write a motivation letter to convince the organizers of the course (i.e students) that they should pick you.
BEST Courses are open to all DTU students, and you don’t have to be or become a member of BEST to go on a course. In fact, being a member of BEST does not influence your chance of getting accepted at all (although you will have a wider array of internal events that you can apply to).
You can see the full list of available courses and read more about how to apply here.
A BEST course is almost like a study exchange, but compressed to 1-2 weeks :
- You go to another city in Europe
- During the day you will have lectures, workshops and company visits (you can even get ECTS from it)
- During the afternoon and evening, you will enjoy an extensive social and cultural program
- You will spend a lot of time with 21 other students from all over Europe (usually from around 15-20 different countries)
You’re charged a small symbolic fee (max 45€), but in return, BEST provides you with accommodation, food and all of your activities throughout the whole course at no extra cost. The only other thing you need to pay is the plane/bus/train ticket to get there.
Below you will find all the information you need about how to apply for a course.
How to apply ?
In order to apply for a BEST course, there are a few steps that you have to follow:
Who can apply?
Only the following students can apply for BEST events:
- Students of technology from universities with a Local BEST Group (for example, DTU students).
- Students from universities belonging to partner organizationss (bonding in Germany).
A student can apply to:
- A maximum of 3 BEST Courses or/and Seasonal Engineering Competitions
- A maximum of 3 Leisure Events or Events on Education.
A student can attend:
- A maximum of 3 BEST Courses or/and Engineering Competitions during your period of studies
- A maximum of 2 BEST Courses or/and Engineering Competitions on summer seasons
- A maximum of 1 BEST Course or Engineering Competition per single season
- Any number of Leisure Events and Events on Education.
An application consists of:
- An application form with general personal information of the participant.
- A motivation letter.
- A list of relevant passed courses.
- The answer to up to 3 questions from the organisers.
What do I have to do?
- Go to the list of events, choose the event you want to apply to and click apply link.
- Enter your email address and your password if you are not already logged in. (If you do not yet have an account, register here. After entering the applications, contact us to validate your account.)
- Enter your applications.
- Read the Never Alone Guide (pdf version)
- Pay the deposit if you were accepted to one of the events. (The deposit is 450 DKK which will have to be payed at the PF office at DTU. You will get it back once you get back from the course.)
- Arrange everything for your travel to the event.
- Participate in the event (actively following the schedule prepared by the organisers).
- Pay the fee if there is any.
- Evaluate the event (after participating in it) – you will need to login on the website to do it.
- Get the deposit back.
Good luck with your application! In case of troubles, please contact us. We are willing to help you with anything 🙂